Reflections on 2013: It has been a year for the books. Remember when you were young and you had growing pains? Your body was trying to adapt to changes. This year has felt like a year with growing pains. Over the past 12 months, I faced great challenges and victories. In the midst, there have been many moments to celebrate, new friends who have changed my life for the better, and a commitment to “doing life differently.” But, I have learned to lean into the pain of growth, because it refines and develops us so that we can walk into our God-given destiny. As I look back over this year, I can see God’s fingerprints over the events of the year, as He was working to set the stage for 2014.
As I look to 2014, I am so excited for the New Year. There is a growing anticipation in my heart as I look to the New Year with hope.
This year, I have been reminded that God’s silence is not a reflection of His absence; He is always working.
Every year, I record lessons that I learn through the passing days, weeks, and months. I hope that the lessons below encourage you and stir fresh faith in your heart to step out and do life differently. This past year, it seemed like I had the song, Oceans, by Hillsong on repeat. I have a feeling that it is going to be a significant song for 2014 as well. In the coming weeks, I am so excited to share with you new projects that will be coming soon! Thank you for sharing the journey with me and reading “Monday Morning Coffee with Hona” each week. It’s not over yet…the best is still yet to come!
I read this passage a few weeks ago, and I can’t seem to get the highlighted portion out of my heart and mind.
“God-of-the-Angel-Armies will step in and take care of his flock, the people of Judah He’ll revive their spirits, make them proud to be on God’s side. God will use them in his work of rebuilding, use them as foundations and pillars, use them as tools and instruments, use them to oversee his work. They’ll be a workforce to be proud of, working as one, their heads held high, striding through swamps and mud, courageous and vigorous because God is with them, undeterred by the world’s thugs.” Zechariah 10:3-5 (MSG)
2014 is the year to dream. May God stir your heart to step out in faith.
1. Sometimes it’s impossible to enter a new season/era without a change in your environment.
2. “Life is short. You can’t afford to put off what God has put in your heart. You don’t have time to live with things holding you back.” -Joel Osteen
3. You can’t let what other people will do or won’t do dictate what you do.
4.”Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” – T.S. Elliot
5. Life is never about the stuff. When we use it to fill the empty spaces, we simply create larger holes.
6. Trust God today with your tomorrow.
7. Send more thank you cards.
8. Starting small doesn’t mean your dream is small. Starting is more important than size.
9. People will hear what you say, but follow what you do. Do something that matters.
10.Juicing vegetables can make a significant difference in your health.
11. “God’s way is better than your way. His plan is bigger than your plan. His dream for your life is more rewarding, more fulfilling, better than you’ve ever dreamed of. Now stay open and let God do it His way.” -Joel Osteen
12. Your health matters. Take the time to invest in yourself so that you can invest in others.
13. When we reach the end of what we can do, it’s only the beginning of what God is able to do.
14. We need to come back to the kitchen, where we are feeding ourselves fresh food.
15. There is wisdom in taking time to rest. When we take time to rest, our lives radiate a different type of peace.
16. The price to change will cost you, but the price to stay the same is even more.
17. Focus on what you can do, not what you can’t do.
18. Most things that you worry about don’t come true. Stop worrying.
19. Leave room for the unexpected in your schedule.
20. People make our life story dynamic, because they remind us that our lives are not just about ourselves.
21.”The spacious, free life is from God. It’s also protected and safe.” Psalm 37:39 (MSG)
22. Do what you love. We need more people who are passionate about what they do.
23. Be consistent. You usually reap in a different season than you sow.
24. Many times, God allows us to be part of the miracle He is working in our lives. Don’t resist the opportunity to put feet to your faith.
25. Be wise in how you spend your time. Even more, be mindful of how you spend your energy.
26. When we believe that God can only do some things for some people, our faith becomes small. The reality is that God can do anything. When we take this truth to heart, we set ourselves up to experience God’s power at work in our lives.
27. Love people. In that love, may they find Jesus.
28. Write a story with your life. Our legacy is what we will leave behind.
29. Don’t miss the opportunity to encourage or inspire someone because you are tired. Sometimes those moments never come again.
Here are the links to the lessons I learned in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Some themes are similar and others are completely different. As I grow and learn, I hope you are encouraged and inspired.
May 2014 hold more opportunities, favor, and blessing as you continue to walk with God!
Scripture taken from THE MESSAGE. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.